Iran Accused US of Pursuing an “Iranophobic campaign”
On Monday evening, Department of Defense announced that 1,000 U.S. troops are being sent to the Middle East, in reaction to the last week’s attacks on the oil tankers in Gulf of Oman, these attacks were conducted by Iran, the United States says.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said in a statement.
The troops were authorized “for the defensive purposes to address air, the naval, and the ground-based threats in Middle East,” Shanahan also said.
The Trump administration also accused Tehran in last week, of being also responsible for an explosion off the coast of Iran, which set two oil tankers on fire.
Donald Trump said on Friday during an interview on Fox News, “Iran did do it,” He also called Iran, a nation of terror.”
Mike Pompeo, who is the US Secretary of State also blames that Iran is responsible for the attacks on two oil tankers, which were near the Persian Gulf on Thursday. The oil tanker attacks are also a part of a campaign by Iran of escalating tension, according to Pompeo stance.
Furthermore, the Pentagon also released a video in last week that the officials said the show of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard also removing an unexploded limpet mine, near the Strait of Hormuz from one of the oil tankers targeted.
But Iran has completely denied theses allegation of being involved, and instead it has accused the U.S. of pursuing an Iranophobic campaign against the country.
Patrick Michael Shanahan, who is an acting United States Secretary of Defense in his statement said that request for more troops came from Unites States Central Command, by adding that he was also contacted the White House on this matter and got the advice from chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joseph Dunford.
The reimposing of sanctions on Iran by Trump, pulled out of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and also starined the United States’ relationship with Iran.
It has been claimed repeatedly by United States that Iran threatens the American forces and the facilities in Middle East.
But however, Patrick Michael Shanahan in his statement maintained that “the United States does not seek conflict with Iran.”
“The action today is being taken to ensure the safety and welfare of our military personnel working throughout the region and to protect our national interests,” he said. “We will continue to monitor the situation diligently and make adjustments to force levels as necessary given intelligence reporting and credible threats.”