A Person Died in California, 9 More Sickened in Multistate Linked to Ground Beef Salmonella Outbreak
A person died in California and nine others were sickened, in a six-state salmonella outbreak that is linked to ground beef, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
10 people were found infected with salmonella Dublin that also includes two people in California, two in Kansas, three in Colorado, and one each in Iowa, Oklahoma and Texas.
The authorities described the illnesses related to the outbreak as more severe than expected for salmonella, according to CDC news release. The eight people were hospitalized of those sickened, including the unidentified Californian, who died.
Although the health officials have not identified a single supplier, at the center of the outbreak, but the laboratory testing found that the ground beef is a likely source of illnesses after six patients reported eating the ground beef at home, officials said.
Patients who found sick, all reported eating the different types and brands of ground beef, which were bought from different locations.
Salmonella strain was found in a leftover ground beef package, in California, left in one patient’s home, and in six samples of raw beef products from the slaughter and meat processing facilities, the CDC said.
“CDC is not advising that consumers stop eating thoroughly cooked ground beef, or that retailers stop selling ground beef,” the federal public health organization said. “This outbreak is a reminder that raw and undercooked ground beef can have germs in it that can make you sick and can contaminate areas where food is prepared.”